As most people would probably agree with me, 2016 was fucking disappointing.
Although I wouldn’t say this year did nothing to help me grow as a person, it was still
really a little shit.
Let us start off with the good things yea? Yea.
I turned 20.
I came out as pansexual and non-binary and I marched in the Pride Parade for the first time!!!
I’ve met people who I now consider to be a few of my best friends. I’m incredibly grateful to have such amazing people in my life.
I dyed my hair purple, then I cut it all off.
This year I began writing for my university’s newspaper “The Peak”. Learning to hone my non-academic writing skills has been fun, and having this blog has helped me grow in this aspect. So far, I have written only 4 articles for “The Peak”, and I hope to write at least one article every 2 weeks next term.
Over the break, I am working on the proposal for my new radio show. It will focus on discussing LGBTQ+ issues in the news, mental health problems in the LGBTQ+ community, and terminology to describe gender and sexuality.
This October, I got the chance to interview the lead singer of one of my favourite pop punk bands, “As It Is”. Honestly, interviewing Patty Walters was a dream come true. He was so nice and I actually felt
incredibly cool really important. (In typical me fashion, I framed the photo pass).
My GPA has been slowly rising, and it will rise even more after I stop taking courses that fuck me up (french, economics…). I found out that I’m pretty decent at environmental courses, and I also really enjoy learning about
all the different ways we’re fucking up our earth our impact on the environment.
Now onto the bad.
This year has been difficult for me mentally. The slight perpetual sadness I always feel morphed into full on depression in mid October. I didn’t know why I was crying every night and I didn’t know why I just couldn’t think anything positive no matter how hard I tried. I had suicidal thoughts whenever I stood in a high place, and being alone in my head was the worst thing ever.
I didn’t do much at the radio station this year. School got in the way, and the radio show I wanted to start producing got pushed back from March to now. Although my ideas are much better now than they were in March, so maybe that’s the silver lining eh?
I didn’t work on any music either. The EP I wanted to make is still only up in the air.
Hopefully next year will be my year. Who knows?
Dear decent human being, at least let’s hope you’re a decent human being, don’t do things that make you seem a lot less decent than you are. I don’t want to have to show you the door/window/skylight and make you leave.
Why would I show you the nearest way out? Oh, I don’t know, doing something thats on my list of pet peeves? What are my pet peeves you say? Good question, here are five of them.
1. You complain of being in the FRIENDZONE. Someone you like turned you down, and only like you as a friend. You should be thankful they still want to keep you in their life, that they still value your friendship. For you to not value that and moan on and on about how you would be perfect for them and how it’s so unfair that they turned you down, I have one thing to say to you, “Stop being a whiny little bitch and move on. Obviously she/he wasn’t the one, and you will find the one in the future.” It’s quite alright to be a bit hungover when someone turns you down, but no one needs to hear your egotistic moaning”
2. You hog the empty bus seat next to you by putting your bag on it when the bus is so full an old lady could fall and die from the way she’s swaying like a paper doll. Put the bag on your lap, or on the floor in front of you, there’s space. Give that seat to the old lady so she can live to see another glorious day.
3. “Depression isn’t real, you’re just making up excuses.” Excuse me? I can’t believe you’re this ignorant. Depression exists, it’s real, and it affects more people than you think it does. I suggest you stop being an ignorant asshole and do some research before telling others your opinion on this matter so we don’t label you as an ignorant idiot.
4. When you don’t text back for several days in a row. Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t realize you were the Queen of England and is so busy you don’t have the time to send a couple sentences back. You have a phone, you have a text plan, use them.
5. Gay marriage is legal in the United States of America and has been legal in Canada for ten years now. If you still think it’s wrong and use the God as your excuse, then get out of my sight. I believe in marriage equality for all and I don’t make friends with homophobes.